State health officials urge residents to check their homes for radon. It’s a tasteless, odorless, radioactive gas that can be deadly over time.
January is National Radon Action Month, and State Health Commissioner Dr. Kris Box reminds Hoosiers that the only way to know how much radon is in your home is by testing. Health officials say it’s simple and inexpensive. Testing kits are available at many home or hardware stores. If levels are high, licensed contractors can correct the problem.
Radon occurs naturally in soil, and can enter buildings through cracks and holes in the foundation. It causes lung damage to people who breathe in radon that’s accumulated in the air, which over time, could lead to cancer. The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency estimates that radon can be blamed for 20,000 lung cancer deaths a year, making it the second leading cause of lung cancer.
For more information, visit the radon page on the Indiana State Department of Health’s website.