State Health Officials Remind Hoosiers of Carbon Monoxide Risks

news-3State health officials are reminding Hoosiers to protect themselves from carbon monoxide poisoning while keeping their homes warm this winter. The Indiana State Department of Health says residents need to be especially careful when using alternate heating sources during power outages.

The say never use generators, grills, camp stoves, or other devices powered by gasoline, propane, natural gas, or charcoal indoors. If you use an emergency generator, place it outdoors and away from windows and doors. The Department of Health also recommends having your heating system and other appliances inspected by a qualified technician every year and having at least one carbon monoxide detector in your home.

Some symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning are headache, dizziness, weakness, upset stomach vomiting, chest pain, and confusion. Health officials urge anyone experiencing these symptoms to get fresh air immediately and call 911.

For more information, visit the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s carbon monoxide poisoning page.