The absence of smoke detectors in a Culver home is blamed for claiming a life. The Culver-Union Township Volunteer Fire Department responded to 504 Mill Street around 1:30 this morning. Fire Chief Terry Wakefield tells MAX FM News the lone occupant died in the blaze, which started accidentally. Marshall County Coroner Bill Clevenger identifies her as Anjelica C. Bush, 24, and says she died of smoke inhalation. Wakefield says The Monterey-Tippecanoe Township Fire Department responded as well.
Written by Mary Perren
MAX 98.3 FM News Director Mary Perren is glad to be back home in northern Indiana and on the radio. She’s a North Judson native with more than 20 years of news experience. She’s worked in print and radio news in Indianapolis, Hopkinsville, Ky., Nashville, Tenn. and most recently in Winamac before taking over as news director for Kankakee Valley Broadcasting. Her work has been honored by the Associated Press, StateNets News Association, Curb Foundation, Hoosier State Press Association and IBA. When she’s not sitting in the anchor chair or chasing down news, Mary enjoys shopping for antiques, attending concerts and taking long walks and rides in her vintage Saab convertible, weather permitting. She’s also a hopelessly devoted Chicago Cubs fanatic who still cringes at the mention of Steve Garvey and Josh Beckett and maintains it wasn’t Steve Bartman’s fault.